Germany: BHN was once again a media partner for the International Hotel Investment Forum in Berlin, where there was a flurry of major industry announcements.
The annual event, held at the InterContinental in Berlin, attracted more than 2,000 delegates from over 80 countries. Some of the announcements made there this year included:
• Accor launched its new lifestyle brand TRIBE during IHIF. To operate in the midscale segment and targetting travellers who are seeking a high-quality hotel experience at an affordable price, TRIBE “aims to surprise travellers with an original, exciting and carefully curated offer that focuses on style rather than price”. 2018 was a record year for Accor, in terms of hotel development with 500 hotels signed, 110 more hotels than in 2017. The group also announced their new loyalty programme which, by the end of 2019 will merge the existing programmes into ALL (Accor Live Limitless).
• Arrivedo, a content platform that curates things to do around hotels, has launched an API and White Label solution for hotel groups, chains, and operators. Both solutions integrate with hotel websites, mobile apps, in-room tablets to distribute curated, personalised Neighbourhood Guides that include route technology and activity recommendations surrounding the property.
• Barceló Hotel Group revealed its results of their 2018 performance, which included 13 new hotels, as well as announcing its expansion plan for 2019. The group now has a total of 249 hotels and 55,014 rooms across 22 countries. These figures place the business as the third largest hotel group within Spain and 29th internationally.
• News from Best Western included the acquisition of renowned global hotel brand WorldHotels, the continued expansion of its global hotel portfolio with more than 600 hotel projects currently under development for the group’s 16 brands on all continents around the globe, the opening of its inaugural Vib Best Western hotel in Asia Pacific, the brand new Vib Best Western Sanam Pao in Bangkok. In January 2019, the soft brand “Sure Hotel Collection” presented last year by Best Western Hotels & Resorts, was launched in Germany with four hotels.
• And Michels and Taylor announced the completion of a strategic partnership agreement with FREO Group, the European real estate investment and asset management business. The deal, which sees FREO acquire 25 per cent of M&Ts shares, will allow M&T to join its current and future clients in active investment opportunities as well as sourcing with FREO and its investment partners its own acquisitions. M&T will also continue to provide a broad range of services including hotel management, advisory, asset management and brand selection.