Worldwide: Tech-enabled boutique hotel brand citizenM has released its ESG report which outlines recent achievements and future goals for the group.
The ESG report by citizenM includes a focus on ESG data, maintaining green building standards, rolling out salary transparency projects for employees, and a decarbonisation plan across its global portfolio.
For example, the report highlights how citizenM provides a snapshot of each hotel’s ESG actions at the booking stage, supported by data so that travellers understand the impact-per-room-night. Findings are also verified by third parties across metrics such as water, waster, emissions and energy use.
Specific ESG achievements for the group include:
• 100 per cent of hotels powered by green electricity.
• Diversion of 95 per cent of waste away from landfills in 2022.
• Securing a €480 million ($520 million) sustainability-linked loan for key properties in citizenM’s portfolio.
• Avoiding the use of 1.7 million plastic bottles through new operational policies.
• Minimising chemical usage during housekeeping.
• Reaching over €1.5 million ($1.6 million) donated to the citizenMovement charity.
Klaas van Lookeren Campagne, CEO at citizenM, said: “As a responsible company, it’s important for citizenM to be on top of topics that impact the planet, our people and our business. This is why we steadfastly accelerated our ESG efforts. There’s still much work to be done, but our progress so far makes us confident in achieving our ambitious goals.
“We know that transparency regarding climate-related data, risks and opportunities will be critical to maintaining the trust of stakeholders. We also recognise that citizenM is in a unique position as both owner and operator of our hotels, which gives us a powerful opportunity to make a difference. Talking is good, but doing is better. The planet cannot wait,” he added.
To read the full ESG report by citizenM, click here.