UK: The shortlist for the Independent Hotel Show (IHS) Awards 2021, including the Independent Hotelier award and GM of the Future, has been announced.
The winners of the awards will be announced on 4 October on the Independent Hotel Shows’ Innovation Stage.
For the Independent Hotelier award, judges were looking for an “excellent independent hotelier or hotelier partnership with a reputation for pushing boundaries and creating exceptional guest experiences.” The GM of the Future Award, in partnership with The Master Innholders, recognises a “rising star in the hotel industry, someone who consistently goes the extra mile and has a commitment to inspiring others.”
The shortlisted hoteliers for the Independent Hotelier award is as follows:
• Joanne Taylor- Stagg, general manager, The Athenaeum Hotel and Residences
• Charlie Luxton and Dan Brod, co-owners, The Talbot Inn, The Beckford Arms and The Lord Poulett Arms
• Laurence Beere, co-owner, The Queensberry Hotel
• Henrik Muehle, general manager, Flemings Mayfair
• James Thomson, owner, The Witchery and Prestonfield
• Ross Grieve, managing director, Seaham Hall & Luxury Lodges
The shortlisted nominees for the GM of the Future award is as follows:
• Penn Chai, room division manager, Castle Hotel Windsor
• Kostadin Dimitrov, front of house manager, Hotel Brooklyn MCR
• Juris Dubrovskis, executive housekeeper, The Athenaeum Hotel and Residences
• Rachel Henley, hotel manager, The Fife Arms
• Nathan Parkin, operations manager, Lakeside Hotel and Spa
• Anna Sirba, operations manager, Salcombe Harbour Hotel
Brenda Collin, judge and EVP of Europe at Preferred Hotels & Resorts and judge, said: “The caliber of entries this year was exceptionally high and therefore difficult choices had to be made. Congratulations should be offered to all the nominees who, without exception, had given back in some way to society in addition to their day jobs. Our industry is so well served by exceptional people and these awards showcase the great leaders who will inspire future nominees.”
Commenting on the GM of the Future award entries, chairman of The Master Innholders David Morgan-Hewitt, said: “We received a large number of excellent applications, each showing great talent and passion for the hotel industry, which made it very difficult to select a shortlist of just six candidates. Each of those chosen displayed an exceptional level of involvement in the industry and the qualities of a good leader, and I would like to congratulate them on their well-deserved success.”
Elena Attanasio, Independent Hotel Show event director, added: “After a tough 18 months for the hotel industry we’re thrilled to be announcing the shortlist for the Independent Hotel Show Awards. Our shortlisted Independent Hoteliers have shown incredible strength and leadership in the face of adversity and our GM of the Future nominees should be celebrated for their enthusiasm, hard work and commitment over the past year. Now more than ever it’s important to recognise the exceptional hospitality professionals that make up the UK’s boutique and independent hotel sector.”
To cast your vote, visit the Independent Hotel Show awards page here.